As Hurricane Sandy barrels through the East Coast, I hold my breath and pray no trees fall on my property.  Every storm, big or small, leaves anything from branches to shingles, to trees left on the ground on my property.  This storm was no different.

I was working yesterday in my office yesterday when the power went out.  Generators wind up and we’re up and running in less than 20 seconds.  Winds and rain are beating the crap out of the banners and flags that hold on for dear life to the flimsy poles they’re attached too.  I don’t have a good feeling about home and decide to leave.  All is well until I turn down my street, which is blocked off half way down.  Gulp.  I knew it.  Sandy smacked a strong, tall Oak in my yard so hard it crashed down and took the power lines with it,  knocking out power in my neighborhood.  Leaving a gaping hole where the root ball used to live, the tree could have easily fallen the other way and hit my house.  As I stood in the pelting rain just looking at the disaster which could have been worse, the power company trucks start rolling in.  One of the workers came to look at the tree and the damage in my yard.  I just looked at him and said “I should have tied it down”.  He laughed and we both agreed if it had to fall, at least it fell the right way.  You got that right.

The crews worked tirelessly in whipping winds, sideways pouring rain and darkness except for the light their own trucks provided.  I watched intently from the window all night long (what else would I do without power?) and wondered if they get paid well.  They make it look easy and never flinched at the weather.  Up and down in the buckets working on the wires, chain saws going and redirecting the few people who thought the “ROAD CLOSED” signs didn’t pertain to them.  They talked and joked and seemed to enjoy what they were doing.

Lizzie was petrified and shaking with fear most of the night.  I think she was remembering a year ago when she was alone in the woods during Hurricane Irene.  She didn’t leave my side the whole night and she seemed visibly better when the power came on about four hours later.  In fact, we all felt better when the power came on. 

I’m a girl who needs power.